Acceptable IDs for Voting
Aug 8, 2012

So far, here's what's acceptable at the polls come November 7.

You must bring ONE of the following photo IDs issued by:

- The United States government, e.g., a U.S. passport


- The Commonwealth of PA, e.g., a driver’s license (NOTE: An expired driver’s license is okay as long as it is within 12 months after the expiration date)


- A PA municipality (e.g., city, county, borough, incorporated town) to municipal employees


- An accredited PA public or private institution of higher learning, e.g., a student card (MUST BE AN IN-STATE SCHOOL) PA College ID


- A PA care facility, which includes a long?term care nursing facility, an assisted living residence or a personal care home, PA Nursing Home Badge


- U.S. Armed Forces branches or their reserves, including the PA National Guard (NOTE: The ID holder can be a veteran or current member; the expiration date can be indefinite.) Military ID






Step 1: Visit your local Driver License Center and take along the following:

A completed Form DL-54A, “Application for Initial Photo Identification Card.”

Acceptable Proof of Identification

Your Social Security Card

ID is free if you state you are using for voting purposes. 

Step 2:
When your application and supporting documentation have been reviewed and processed, a Driver License Center staff member will direct you to the Photo Center to have your photo taken for your Photo ID card.

Step 3: Once your photo has been taken, you will be issued your Photo ID card. PennDOT uses state-of-the-art facial recognition technology when an individual has their photo taken for their driver’s license/identification card.