- Join the Conversation
- 866-361-0900 or 215-634-8065
Getting Started - My Arts & Culture CapsuleSep 23, 2012
Stef's debut blog entry. What it's all about. Why you should become a regular reader.
Hello WURD Family!
For those of you who are regular listeners of The Mid-Morning MOJO, this blog will serve as an extension of the conversation we have on the air about how I move about the city in the cultural community. If you have not yet had a chance to tune in to my show, then you can stop by this blog to read my commentary on Philadelphia happenings in the performing arts world, check out a list of the songs featured on the MOJO in the previous week, and perhaps get a few follow-up notes on the stories I've covered.
So let's get started, shall we?
It was a big weekend for arts in the city. I joined the Lomax family and a sold-out crowd for the debut of Hannibal Lokumbe's latest production, "Can You Hear God Crying?" at the Kimmel Center's Verizon Hall. Passionate, meditative singing and wonderful musicianship. Chorus would have been stronger with perhaps half of the personnel, but it was nice to see so many diverse vocal ensembles represented. Saturday night led me to The Annenberg Center for Day 2 of Marc Bamuthi Joseph's Red, Black and Green: A blue's and another huge, diverse crowd in the Zellerbach Theater (including Dr. & Mrs. Lomax - they get around). The blending of spoken word, song, movement and videography in this piece was extraordinary! Gives a whole new meaning to "environmental justice" for people of color living in impoverished American cities. A must-see for anyone who thinks that modern-day theater is just a rehash of old Broadway hits, lacking vision and spirit. I had hoped to get out to more Live Arts/Fringe events, Philly JazzFest, or the Art Sanctuary tribute to John Coltrane, but there are only so many hours in a day...and a lady needs her sleep.
And here is a list of the tunes played on my show last week (click the links to purchase on itunes and enjoy some youtube videos of songs listed below):
- The Persuasions - Looking For An Echo
- Lianne La Havas - Don't Wake Me Up
- Bobby McFerrin - Say Ladeo
- Lalah Hathaway - Outrun The Sky
- John Coltrane - Equinox
- John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman - Autumn Serenade
- Jazzanova, Leon Ware & Dwele - Rocking You Eternally
- India.Arie - Talk To Her
- Roy Ayers - Red, Black & Green
- Goapele - Things Don't Exist
- Kenny Bobien - I Shall Not Be Moved
- Jill Scott ft Al Jarreau & George Benson - God Bless The Child
- Jeff Bradshaw ft Carol Riddick - Come Over
- Steal Vybe - Trizonna
- Kindred The Family Soul - Weather The Storm
- Vanessa Williams - Any Place I Hang My Hat Is Home
- Sade - Bring Me Home
- Groove Theory - Come Home
- Bilal - Home
- Lizz Wright - Soon As I Get Home
Next week, I'll fill you on in more great arts events like my sold-out conversation with actress Emayatzy Corinealdi and filmmaker Ava DuVerrnay and a concert by jazz/rock/improv ensemble Burnt Sugar, both at The Painted Bride. Philly is finally living up to its cultural potential, and I'm happy to bring you the news as it happens.