- Join the Conversation
- 866-361-0900 or 215-634-8065
Simple PleasuresMar 23, 2013
In lieu of a real vacation, you find ways to make your happier at home.
Reading my Twitter timeline the other day, I saw a friend make a statement that reminded me very much of my late father and his curmudgeonly ways. As delightful as Daddy could be when he was in his jokester mood, he was a sour-mouthed pain-in-the-patoot on other occasions. Scowling at the sound of the phone ringing, then answering it like he surely could not be bothered with anything the caller had to say. As his health declined, he also lost some of his taste for food, so finding any dish that he would consume completely and enjoy was a chore. And oh, the faces that man could make in those moments of displeasure!
Every now and then, I hear myself getting in a funk of nothing-can-please-me. Waking up early, working past sundown, spring hasn't sprung yet so the weather is still cold, all the cool things and places to hang out happen too late in the evening, and on and on and on. In those moments, I make myself sick with the complaining. So I've decided that I'm going to make a much more concerted effort to create moments of delight every single day. Whether it's a great cocktail, a tasty meal, a new album for my collection, a piece of jewelry, good coffee, a new lipstick, whatever...I am going to bring small bits of sunshine into every single day, to remind me to be thankful for breathing and the many blessings in my world.
I had to go run errands today, and on my way back to the train, I stopped by DiBruno Brothers. Had no idea what I might buy, but I knew that among the aisles and rounds of designer goodies, I could find something. While some folks may go for $600 stilettos or $100 panties, I was perfectly fine grabbing some blood orange marmalade and blue cheese herb mustard. I smiled, knowing that my office buddy Kyle would approve. Still couldn't find my favorite Thai chili sauce or Chinese wok oil, but oh well...guess that gives me an excuse to go on another simple pleasure expedition sometime soon. The little things really do make me happy.
Now, for last week's playlist:
- Freedom Is Coming Tomorrow (reprise) - Original Broadway cast of Sarafina
- Peace On Earth - Raúl Midon
- When My Train Pulls In - Gary Clark Jr.
- Inner City Boundaries - Freestyle Fellowship
- Free Your Mind - ZO! ft Lady Alma
- What Teachers Make - Taylor Mali
- Faith - Julie Dexter
- Little Ghetto Boy [live] - Donny Hathaway
- Doowutchyalike - Digital Underground
- Spring - Ursula Rucker
- You Make Love Like Springtime - Teena Marie
- Rocket Love - Stevie Wonder
- Spanish Joint - D'Angelo
- Another Love - Alice Smith
- 1960 What? - Gregory Porter
- This Could Be The Night - ZO! ft Eric Roberson, Darien Brockington & Rapper Big Pooh
- She - Alice Smith
- Cocoa Butter - India.Arie
- Where Is All The Money Going - Cody ChesnuTT
- Sugar Didn't Work This Time - Kafele
- The Work Pt 1 - Prince
- The 1, 2 [Reelsoul Mix] - AG Thomas