- Join the Conversation
- 866-361-0900 or 215-634-8065
How to beat the heat this summer!Jun 20, 2012 | News Archive
Today is the first day or summer, here are some tips to beat the scorching summer heat!
With today being the first day of summer it's fitting that we’re experiencing excessive heat. While it’s nice to finally feel beach appropriate weather you need to stay cool! High temperatures are especially dangerous for children, the elderly, animals, as well as people with heart conditions and asthma. Here are some tips to keep your loved ones safe during the summer, pass them along to your friends:
- Wear loose fitting, light colored clothing. Cotton material is preferred.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohols because they dehydrate the body; instead drink plenty of water.
- Eat small meals like fruit or low fat dairy snacks frequently instead of heavy large meals; to avoid cooking for extended time frames.
- Say on the lowest floor of your building, if possible.
- Use a fan, even with air conditioner because fans circulate air.
Again, be sure to check on your elderly loved ones, pets and children. If they live in a home without an air conditioning unit, or fan keep an eye out for events where they can receive one for free.
Other ways to keep cool without air conditioner are:
- Closing your blinds during the day
- Opening your windows at night
- Turn off all heat sources
- Avoid steam (hot showers, washing dishes or clothing)
- Insulate your home
Be smart this summer and make sure you follow our tips to stay cool!
Also check out this video:
These tips are brought to you by: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=52796
Posted By: Desiree Fritz, WURD internNews